How a flight physical from your doctor in Port Charlotte, FL, can help you
For experienced pilots, a flight physical is part of the job. If you are new to aviation, you need to know the facts about a flight physical and how it can help you. Dr. Joseph Ravid is a Senior Aviation Medical Examiner at Gulfview Medical Institute in Port Charlotte, FL. Dr. Ravid provides a wide range of medical services, including flight physicals. He proudly serves residents of Punta Gorda, Arcadia, North Port, Englewood, and Port Charlotte, FL.
The Federal Aviation Administration, or FAA, requires proof of your fitness to fly an aircraft. That means you need a flight physical. The flight physical takes about 30 minutes and involves several steps, including:
- Checking your eyesight and hearing
- Performing a complete physical examination of your body including your head, torso, and extremities
- Checking your vital signs including blood pressure, pulse, and respiration
- Testing with an electrocardiogram (EKG) to determine any abnormalities in heart rhythm or other heart functions
- Checking your lung function to establish your ability to breathe deeply and expel the air from your lungs
- Laboratory testing of cholesterol and hemoglobin
- Imaging studies including a chest X-ray
Before your appointment, make sure you bring any medical records and your confirmation number to the appointment. The FAA requires you and your doctor to complete Form 8500-8. To view and print a copy of this form, please click here.
The FAA requires a Class I certification every year if you are a commercial pilot. If you are over 40, or you are an airline transport pilot, you need a Class I certification every 2 years. If you fly an airplane as a hobby, you need to submit a Class II certification.
To learn more about flight physicals, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Joseph Ravid of Gulfview Medical Institute in Port Charlotte, FL, serving residents of Punta Gorda, Arcadia, North Port, Englewood, and Port Charlotte, FL. You can reach him in the office by calling (941) 505-2100, so call now.