Posts for: April, 2020
How your doctor in Punta Gorda, FL, can help with a flight physical
If you are a pilot, chances are that you are familiar with a flight physical. However, if you are a soon-to-be-pilot, you may want to know more. Dr. Joseph Ravid is a Senior Aviation Medical Examiner at Gulfview Medical Institute in Punta Gorda, FL, and there he offers flight physicals to help you stay healthy.
The Federal Aviation Administration, or FAA, requires Class I and Class II medical fitness certifications to become a professional, commercial pilot. A Class II certification is required for pilots who fly as a hobby. A Class I certification is required to be a commercial pilot. During a Class I flight physical, your doctor will:
- Check your eyesight and hearing
- Perform a comprehensive physical examination including your lungs, heart, blood pressure, stomach, extremities, and nervous system
- Perform an electrocardiogram (EKG) to determine any abnormalities in heart rhythm or other heart functions
- Check your lung function to establish your ability to breathe deeply and expel the air from your lungs
- Order laboratory tests of blood cholesterol and hemoglobin
- Order a chest X-ray
Your doctor may also counsel you on lifestyle habits, including avoiding drinking and smoking for at least three months before your medical certification.
When you come in for your flight physical, please bring any relevant medical records with you, and your confirmation number to the appointment. The FAA requires you and your doctor to complete Form 8500-8. To view and print a copy of this form, please click on this link: https://medxpress.faa.gov/MedXpress/
Class I flight physicals are required every year for commercial pilots. If you are over 40 or are an airline transport pilot, you need to renew your medical certification twice each year.
Need an evaluation? Give us a call
If you need a flight physical, you need an expert. To learn more about flight physicals, call Dr. Joseph Ravid of Gulfview Medical Institute in Punta Gorda, FL, at (941) 505-2100. Call today!